Friday, July 30, 2010

A Family Favourite - Sour Cream Carrot Cake


My mum used to make this cake when I was a kid, and it is so yummy. Especially with the 'cheesecake' icing. So quite a while ago, I copied this recipe from my mum's collection, and over the last couple of weeks, have made it a couple of times for my family, which they are loving :-)

Thought I'd share the goodness here too...

Sour Cream Carrot Cake

1 cup wholemeal SR flour
1 cup white plain flour
1 tsp Bicarb of Soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 tsp Nutmeg
1 cup white or raw sugar
1 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream
3 cups grated Carrot (about 4 carrots)

Sift flours, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into large bowl.
Add sugar and oil, mix well.
Put eggs and sour cream into separate bowl, beat well.
Add to flour mixture, mix until smooth.
Add carrot, mix well.
Pour into 2 greased and lined loaf tins. (I usually make one big round cake instead, just needs to cook a little longer)
Bake at 180, centre of oven.
When cooked, stand a few minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.
Top with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Icing

60g packet Cream Cheese
30g Butter
1 tsp grated Lemon Rind
1 1/2 cups Icing Sugar

Mix cheese, butter, lemon until smooth.
Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.

xx

1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love reading your comments - they really warm my heart. So thank you!