Friday, August 31, 2012

My name is Kelly and I love reading Chick Lit

La di dah...
(I'm just going to act like it's not been two weeks since my last post)

Anyway, yes, I said it - I read and love chick lit!
You know, those books that are like romantic comedy movies, with all the feel-good and squishy endings?
Don't get me wrong, I read other books that have a bit more substance to them, but I just love cosying up on the couch after a full-on day with my latest book and reading the night away.

And because of that, I thought I'd share a few of my favourite 'chick lit' authors, just in case you are looking for something new to read...

Now where to start...hmmmm....

Jill Mansell - is one of my favourites and I have quite a collection of them as I find them good re-readers. They are the epitomy of a feel-good 'awww' ending.

Melissa Nathan - has 5 novels to her name, and sadly passed away due to cancer in 2006 but her novels are witty, well written and great reads. One favourite being her debut novel "Pride, Prejudice & Jasmin Fields"

Marian Keyes - her older novels such as 'Sushi for Beginners' and 'Last Chance Saloon' are fab reads, and her new novels are good, but I'd recommend starting with the older books. The only exception is "Anybody Out There?" which was brilliantly written and so moving - not so much a romantic comedy though, more a drama.

Jane Green -  is another author who started out with chick lit but is now moving towards more drama/family style books. Of her later novels 'Second Chance' is one of my favs, but I'm always a sucker for her older novels such as 'Jemima J', 'Bookends' and 'Mr Maybe'.

I might leave it there for now, but I could go on :-) (I read A LOT!)

How about you? Any book or author recommendations for me? I would love to hear from you!
xx

5 comments:

  1. I very much don't read chick lit, with one exception - Maggie Alderson. Love, LOVE her work. Her first one, Pants on Fire is my fave. Apart from that I am much more of a fantasy type girl. I do like re-readers though so maybe I'll check out a Jill Mansell from the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Trisha Ashley and Victoria Routledge because I like my rom-coms with a side of funny :) I have to import them from Britain, although sometimes find them in the bargain pile at the newsagent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha your so funny... la di dah :)

    Oh gosh I wish I had just a bit of time to do some reading.... oh how I miss it.. gettign cosy with a good book... sigh! One day when I'm old and grey I will have plety of time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not crazy about modern literature; I've tried a few but I keep going back to the oldies (when I 'permit' myself to read because I tend to get totally caught up in a book and that's not always practical!) I like Georgette Heyer's Regency novels and am gradually working my way through her catalogue. I also recently read and enjoyed I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing quite like a bit of light and fluffy chick lit I think! Sometimes you just need to lose yourself in something that's not too serious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love reading your comments - they really warm my heart. So thank you!